The beginning of the year is the time most of us decide to start making health and lifestyle changes. It’s a natural point in the calendar in which to want a new beginning. We make resolutions, join gyms, and start diets. Many of our resolutions are quickly forgotten, however, and it’s often because they are too big and unmanageable. The best resolutions are small, manageable ones. Not sure where to start? We’ve got you covered! Here’s a list of seven ways to start the year off right and to get moving on the path to a healthier and happier you.
1. Begin with a cleanse Everyone overeats during the holidays, so the best way to begin the new year is by detoxing from all the sugar, fat, and alcohol you’ve consumed in the past few weeks. Don’t worry – cleansing doesn’t mean you can’t eat! It just means eating whole, unprocessed foods. Use our 7-Day Clean Eating and Detox Menu as a guide.
2. Cut down on sugar So many of the foods we eat are full of refined sugars, including foods we think of as healthy, such as granola bars. Sugar is addictive and eating lots of sugar leads to lethargy, weight gain, and the health problems that arise from obesity. Do your body a favor and reduce your sugar intake. Our 30-Day Sugar Detox is tough, but it will help.
3. Start cooking The best way to cut down on sugar and improve your overall diet is by cooking your own meals. When you eat what you’ve made, you know exactly what you’re eating. Are you nervous to get started in the kitchen, or convinced you don’t have time to cook? Try our 10 10-Minute Lunches or our 15 Clean Dinners Prepared in Under 15 Minutes.
4. Exercise regularly Exercise isn’t just important for weight loss. Exercising regularly gives you more energy, improves your mood, and leads to better sleep. If you exercise efficiently, you don’t need to spend hours in the gym, or even join one! Count Down to a New You in the New Year Workout. If you’re new to working out, take a look at our 30-Day Get in Shape Training Plan For Beginners.
5. Try meditating Set aside 5 to 10 minutes every day to meditate. Meditation eases anxiety and improves concentration, mood, and quality of sleep. Check out 7 Mind-Blowing Benefits to Meditation.
6. Get more sleep A good night’s sleep is just about the best thing you can do for your body. It will boost your immune system and your mood, and getting enough sleep will curb morning caffeine and sugar cravings, and prevent late-night snacking. Insomniacs, check out 5 Small Changes for Better Sleep.
7. Learn to love the body you have The most emotionally, mentally, and physically beneficial thing you can do for your health is to love yourself. Embracing your beautiful natural body will lead you to want to nourish it and take care of it. If and when it becomes difficult to do so, remind yourself of our 10 Tips For Staying Body Positive.