As the weather turns colder, add a little heat to your menu with these yummy Cajun sandwiches.
Makes 4 servings
Cooking time: n/a
- 11/2 Tbsp (25 mL) canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 loaf multigrain Italian bread (8 ounces/448 g), cut into 8 slices
- 4 cups (1 L) loosely packed, torn romaine pieces
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) pickled mild banana pepper rings, drained
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 4 slices and then halved
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb (113 g) deli sliced lean ham
- 2 thin slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese (11/2 ounces/42 g), cut in half
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl and stir until completely blended.
- Drizzle one side of each bread slice with sauce and top four bread slices (sauce side up) with equal amounts of filling ingredients in the order listed, beginning with torn lettuce. Top with remaining bread slices (sauce side down), press down slightly, and cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
Reference : Canadian Diabetes Association