Snowy cauliflower topped with cheese and nuts makes the perfect side dish for a Sunday roast.
Sprinkle the garlic-crumb mixture over other vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts or spinach. Unblanched almonds, pecans or walnuts can replace the hazelnuts.
Makes 4 servings
Cooking time: n/a
- Preheat broiler
- 12- by 8-inch (2.5 L) shallow baking dish, sprayed with vegetable cooking spray
- 1 tbsp butter 15 mL
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, finely chopped 50 mL
- ½ cup soft fresh bread crumbs 125 mL
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup finely shredded light Swiss or light Cheddar cheese 125 mL
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley 25 mL
- 1 medium cauliflower, broken into florets
- In a medium nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add hazelnuts and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until lightly toasted. Add bread crumbs and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more or until crumbs are lightly colored. Remove from heat; let cool.
- In a bowl, combine crumb mixture, cheese and parsley.
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook cauliflower for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain well. Place in baking dish; sprinkle with crumb mixture. Place under preheated broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
Reference : Canadian Diabetes Association