This spicy vegetarian dish is made healthier with the use of canola oil, which has the least saturated fat of all common cooking oils.
- If you like your food spicier, add red pepper flakes.
Makes 4 servings
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1 tsp cumin seeds 5 mL
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger 15 mL
- 1 tsp curry powder 5 mL
- 2 tsp garam masala 10 mL
- 1 can (28 fl oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 cans (19 fl oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice 30 mL
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro 60 mL
- In saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat and sauté cumin seeds for about 1 minute.
- Add onion, ginger, curry powder and garam masala, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas and lemon juice.
- Using spatula, scrape bottom of pan to get all cooking juices. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with basmati rice, naan bread or dosa. Garnish with cilantro.
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|