This is a favourite with children.
If you use a non-stick pan to cook the ground beef you don’t need to add any oil as it will cook in its own fat. Even with lean ground beef you can still pour off excess fat when it is cooked. This is a favourite with your children.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (500g)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (25 mL)
- 1 14-oz (398 mL) can tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock (250 mL)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb potatoes, peeled and halved (1kg)
- ¼ cup skim milk (60 mL)
- 1 tbsp soft margarine (15 mL)
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed (250 mL)
- ¼ cup shredded reduced-fat Chedder cheese (60 mL)
- Cook the ground beef and onion in a large non-stick pan over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring to break up beef, or until browned. Drain off the excess fat. Stir in the tomato paste, tomatoes and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in lightly salted water 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash together with the milk and margarine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Stir the peas into the beef mixture. Spoon into a 1½-quart (1.5-L) casserole dish. Cover with the mashed potatoes. Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Sprinkle with the cheese. Return to oven until cheese melts. Serve hot.
Reference : Canadian Diabetes Association