This simple soup will be a hit with kids! It’s chock full of flavour and chicken with crunchy tortillas – perfect for a weeknight meal.
Makes 8 servings
Cooking time: N/A
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb. (500 g) raw ground chicken or turkey
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- ¼ cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 4 cups (1 L) no-salt-added or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ¾ cup (175 mL) medium salsa
- 2 small whole wheat flour tortillas
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- Canola oil cooking spray
- ½ cup (125 mL) reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat and cook onion, chicken, garlic, chili powder and cumin for about 8 minutes or until onion is softened and chicken is no longer pink and starting to brown.
- Stir in tomato paste and parsley until coated. Add broth, peppers and salsa; bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes or until peppers are tender but firm.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- Meanwhile, using kitchen scissors, cut tortillas into ½-inch (1-cm) strips. Spray strips with canola oil cooking spray and sprinkle with pepper. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Ladle soup in bowls and sprinkle with cheese and tortilla strips.
Reference : Canadian Diabetes Association