Any firm whitefish can be used instead of the cod in this quick, one-dish meal.
Makes 4 servings
Cooking time: n/a
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into thin slices, a few fronds reserved
- 4 small potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shaved into large pieces
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth 175 mL
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste 30 mL
- 3 wide strips orange peel, white pith removed
- 4 portions cod fish fillets (4 oz/125 g)
- In a large non-stick pan heat canola oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is soft, about 6-7 minutes. Add fennel and continue to cook until fennel is tender crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Add potatoes and carrots. Continue cooking.
- Whisk together chicken broth and tomato paste and add to pan, along with orange peel. Simmer 10 minutes, covered.
- Place cod fillets on top of vegetables. Cover pan and cook 10 minutes longer or until fish is cooked throughout. To serve, garnish with fennel fronds.