This is a quick, easy and healthy version of the traditional East Indian dish!
Makes 8 servings
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1 cup finely chopped onion 250 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp finely grated fresh ginger 30 mL
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin 7 mL
- 1/2 Tbsp ground coriander 7 mL
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric 4 mL
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom 2 mL
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 2/3 cup basmati rice, well rinsed 400 mL
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into strips 500 g
- 1/3 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt 75 mL
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth 750 mL
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In saucepan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat and sauté onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon for 2 minutes to bring out flavours.
- Stirring constantly, add rice, chicken, yogurt, tomato and broth; cover and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes or until rice is tender, chicken is cooked through and liquid is absorbed. Remove from stove and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
Serving size: 3/4 cup (175 mL)
Recipe courtesy of canolainfo.org, featured in the Canadian Diabetes Association’s 2014 Healthy Living Calendar.