Gingerroot adds a vibrant flavor to this stew. Serve steaming bowls with chunks of crusty whole-grain bread.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tsp (10 mL) mild curry paste or powder
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced peeled potatoes
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) thinly sliced carrots
- 2 ¼ cups (550 mL) fish broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) snow peas, ends trimmed, halved
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh or frozen haddock or cod fillets, cut into chunks
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, ginger and curry paste; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until softened. Add potatoes, carrots and fish broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- In a bowl, blend cornstarch with 2 tbsp (25 mL) water. Add to stew and cook, stirring, until thickened. Season with pepper to taste. Stir in snow peas and fish; cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until snow peas are tender-crisp and fish is opaque.
|Total fat||5 g|
|Saturated fat||1 g|
Canada’s Choice per Serving: 1½ Carbohydrate, 3 Meat & Alternatives
Recipe reprinted with permission from Diabetes Comfort Food, Johanna Burkhard and Barb Selley, Robert Rose Inc., 2006, http://www.robertrose.ca