Substitute a different bread, such as focaccia, for the buns to add subtle and sophisticated flavor to fish burgers.
- Great toppings that don’t add a lot of carbohydrates or calories are: lettuce or spinach leaves, tomato slices, thinly sliced onions (grilled, sautéed or raw), dill pickle slices.
- White fish fillets are very similar in terms of taste and nutrition, so choose what you like – but remember that fresh is always best, so be flexible and pick what is in season.
- Preheat oven to 425◦ F (220◦ C)
- Baking sheet, sprayed with vegetable spray
- 1 lb skinless white fish fillets (cod, halibut or sole) 500 g
- 2 egg whites 2
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 mL
- ½ cup corn flakes cereal crumbs 125 mL
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese 50 mL
- 6 crusty whole wheat buns (each 1½ oz/45 g) or pitas
- 6 tbsp Light Tartar Sauce (recipe follows) 90 mL
Light Tartar Sauce
Makes 1 Cup (250 mL) (1 tbsp/15 mL per serving)
This recipe can be stored in a well-sealed container (or a jar with a tight-fitting lid) in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- ½ cup (125 mL), plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL), lower-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp (45 mL), chopped dill pickle
- 1 tsp (5 mL), freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 mL), Dijon mustard
- Dash, hot pepper sauce
- Dash, Worcestershire sauce
- Cut fish fillets into 6 equal pieces.
- In a shallow dish, using a fork, beat egg whites and oil.
- In a separate shallow dish, combine corn flakes crumbs and Parmesan. Dip fish pieces first into egg mixture, then into crumbs. Press crumbs on to make sure they stick. Discard any excess egg and crumb mixtures.
- Place fish on prepared baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until coating is golden brown and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Don’t overcook.
- Serve on whole wheat buns, topped with 1 tbsp (15 mL) Light Tartar Sauce and your choice of toppings (see suggestions in tip, above)
Light Tartar Sauce
In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, mayonnaise, pickles, lemon juice, mustard, hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until completely chilled and flavors are blended. Serve with fish or on fish burgers.
Reference : Canadian Diabetes Association