The suggested focus for individuals with diabetes is under 130/80 mm Hg. The top number is the weight when your heart contracts and pushes blood out (systolic). The base number is the weight when the heart unwinds between thumps (diastolic).
Why is controlling blood pressure important for people with diabetes?
At the point when circulatory strain is high, it puts weight on the body. This can make harm the heart, cerebrum, kidneys, and eyes. High blood glucose levels are a hazard consider for (hypertension) as it can prompt solidifying of the supply routes. Contrasted with individuals without diabetes, individuals with diabetes are significantly more prone to create coronary illness and additionally encounter a stroke at a prior age.
On the off chance that you have diabetes, get your circulatory strain checked each time you visit your human services group.
Am I doing all that I can to control my blood pressure?
- Do I have my blood pressure checked every time I visit my health-care team?
- Am I at a healthy weight?
- Do I follow a healthy diet that includes vegetables, fruits, low-fat dairy products, and is low in sodium and saturated and trans fats?
- Am I physically active on a regular basis?
- Am I a non-smoker?
- Do I manage stress in a healthy way?
- Do I limit my alcohol intake?
- Do I take my medication as prescribed?
Strategies to lower blood pressure
- Reduce your salt intake
- Do the DASH!
- Read the nutrition facts table
Try these healthy eating tips:
- Choose vegetables and fruits more often (fresh or frozen without added salt).
- Choose low-fat (one per cent or skim) dairy products.
- Choose legumes (dried beans, peas and lentils) more often. Rinse canned beans with water.
- Choose whole grains such as whole wheat breads, cereal, pasta and brown rice.
- Eat fish at least twice a week (fresh, frozen or canned without added salt).
- Choose lean meats and poultry without added salt.
- Limit processed, smoked and cured foods.
- Look for unsalted or ‘no added salt’ items (e.g. crackers, nuts).
- Avoid using salt at the table and in cooking.
- Avoid seasonings that contain the word ‘salt’ or ‘sodium’, such as garlic salt, celery salt, Kosher salt, sea salt or monosodium glutamate (MSG).
- Flavour your foods with herbs, spices, fresh garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon or vinegars.
- Limit frozen convenience foods and fast food restaurant meals.
With time, your taste buds will adjust to the natural flavours of food without added salt.
Talk to a registered dietitian to learn more about healthy eating.
Incorporate physical movement with your day. Normal physical movement can enhance pulse and heart wellbeing.
Check with your social insurance group about the activity schedule that is appropriate for you. Both oxygen consuming and resistance activities are suggested for individuals with diabetes.
Be a non-smoker
Smoking influences circulatory strain in two routes: Nicotine in tobacco smoke causes veins to thin, which builds pulse.
Smoking makes circulatory strain prescriptions work less viably. Get some information about nearby projects and solutions that may help you to stop.
To help adapt to stress, attempt physical movement, associating, chuckling, and adhering to a good diet. Maintain a strategic distance from undesirable anxiety busters, for example, smoking, liquor utilize, or poor sustenance decisions. Help is accessible on the off chance that you require it. Keep in mind to set aside a few minutes for yourself!
Managing alcohol intake
At the point when way of life changes are insufficient, your specialist may recommend pharmaceutical. A great many people require at least two medications to cut down their circulatory strain to a solid level. It is essential to take your medicines as endorsed. Attempt to take them in the meantime consistently.
Treating hypertension may require time, persistence and care by both you and your specialist. Your specialist may need to attempt diverse meds or blends of meds to see which ones work the best for you with the least reactions. It is imperative to keep taking your prescriptions, notwithstanding when your circulatory strain is at target.
Converse with your specialist or drug specialist in the event that you have any inquiries concerning your prescriptions.