“East meets West” when we serve hummus with tortillas, the bread of Mexico!
- Freeze hummus in small amounts for future use.
- Since flour tortillas come in packages of 10 or 12, it’s worth baking lots since they keep well in tightly sealed container.
Yield: 2 1/3 cups (575 mL), each serving 1/3 cup (75 mL)
Prep: 15 minutes
Refrigerate: 2 hours or longer
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed 1
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 or 2
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt 125 mL
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice 45 mL
- ½ tsp ground cumin 2 mL
- Dash hot pepper sauce Dash
- Freshly ground pepper
Yield: 48 tortilla crisps, each serving: 6 tortilla crisps
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
- 4 8-inch (20 cm) whole wheat flour tortillas 4
- In food processor or blender, puree chickpeas with garlic until coarsely chopped. Add yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, hot pepper sauce, and pepper to taste; blend to smooth paste.
- Transfer to covered container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours so flavours develop or freeze for up to 6 months.
- With scissors, cut each tortilla into 12 triangles. Place in single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake in 300º F (150º C) oven for 15 minutes or until crisp and golden. Cool before storing in tightly sealed container.
Reference : Canadian Diabetes Association