With a light coconut lime flavour, this recipe features green beans, bell peppers and zucchini.
Other vegetables such as spinach, mushrooms, or cauliflower could also be used.
Makes 8 servings
Cooking time: n/a
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) freshly grated ginger juice of one medium sized lime
- 1½ (20 mL) Tbsp canola oil, divided
- 12 oz (85 g) 1 block of firm or extra firm tofu, diced into cubes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) light coconut milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) green beans, cut in 2 inch (5 cm) pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh cilantro
- In a bowl, marinate tofu with the ginger, lime juice and ½ Tbsp (7 mL) canola oil. Toss well to coat. This can be done about 30 minutes ahead of time and up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- In a large saucepan, no lid required, heat remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil. Add onion and cook for about 6 minutes or until softened and slightly browned. Add garlic, cumin and cloves and stir for 2 minutes.
- To saucepan, add stock and coconut milk. Simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add green beans, bell pepper and zucchini and cook for about 10 minutes more or until vegetables are tender. Add marinated tofu and cook an additional 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro. Serve over steamed brown rice or quinoa, if desired.
Reference : Canadian Diabetes Association