A great Mexican-style treat!
Makes 8 servings
Cooking time: n/a
- 1½ cups (375 mL) split red lentils
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) green pepper, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) chile powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 6 Tbsp (90 mL) tomato paste
- 8 (6-inch; 15 cm) whole grain tortillas
- Optional: Low fat sour cream, salsa, cheddar cheese
- Rinse and drain lentils. In a saucepan, combine lentils and water to boil, cover and simmer 20 minutes. They will be slightly undercooked. Drain if necessary.
- In sauté pan, sauté onion, green pepper and garlic in canola oil, but do not brown. Add chile powder, cumin, cooked lentils, water and tomato paste. Stir 2 minutes until mixture starts to thicken. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Lay a tortilla flat and place 1/2 cup (125 mL) of lentil mix down in the center and roll up. Top each burrito with dollop of sour cream, salsa and light sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese.
Reference : Canadian Diabetes Association