It’s always fun to sneak in a secret ingredient – this one is an egg! Protein satisfies a hungry bunch and this twist on an old favorite is a perfect way to do it.
Makes 14 servings
Cooking time: N/A
- 1 can (14 oz./398 mL) no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 medium chipotle chili pepper (packed in adobo sauce)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped cilantro, divided
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) water
- In food processor, combine chickpeas, 3 hard-boiled eggs, canola oil, garlic, pepper, lemon juice, cumin, salt and all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) cilantro. Purée until smooth, adding up to 1/3 cup (75 mL) water for desired consistency.
- In shallow serving bowl, add hummus. Slice remaining egg into wedges and garnish with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) cilantro.
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Homemade fibre-rich snacks like hummus can keep your blood sugar levels stable so you feel energized throughout the day. They provide nutrients, and can help control your appetite and possibly even your weight. Try to include choices from at least two food groups in your healthy snack. – Punya Puri, registered dietitian, Toronto|
3 tbsp (45 mL) per serving
Recipe courtesy of canolainfo.org, featured in the Canadian Diabetes Association’s 2016 Healthy Living Calendar.