This hearty, yet simple meal bursts with flavor due to the sauce.
Makes 16 servings
Cooking time: n/a
- 2½ lb outside round beef roast 1.1 kg
- 1½-2 tsp freshly ground black pepper 7-10 mL
- 1 oz mixed dried wild mushrooms 30 g
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth 500 mL
- 1 cup water 250 mL
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 2 Tbsp finely minced shallots 30 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp whole black peppercorns, coarsely crushed 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard 15 mL
- 2 Tbsp brandy 30 mL
- 2½ Tbsp all-purpose flour 37 mL
- Heat oven to 275 ºF (140 ºC). Lightly spray 9×9-inch (22×22-cm) metal roasting pan with canola oil cooking spray and set aside.
- Pat roast dry. Cover entire roast with ground black pepper and shake off excess. Place in prepared pan and roast in preheated oven for 1¼-1¾ hours or until internal temperature registers 140 ºF (60 ºC) with instant-read thermometer. Remove from oven and tent loosely with foil.
- During last 30 minutes of cooking, prepare sauce. In medium saucepan, bring beef broth and water to a boil. Remove from heat and add mushrooms, covering them well with liquid. Let set at room temperature for 30 minutes to soften. Drain mushrooms, reserving broth. Coarsely chop mushrooms.
- In large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes or until soft; do not brown. Add garlic, peppercorns, Dijon mustard and reserved chopped mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Deglaze pan with brandy and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in beef broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer meat to cutting board and slice thin. Cover with sauce and serve.
|Total fat||6 g|
|Saturated fat||2 g|
Yield: 16 servings, Serving Size: 4 oz (125 g)
Courtesy of canolainfo.org.