This easy-to-make saucy veal is delicious served with noodles and a green vegetable such as asparagus.
Makes 4 servings
Cooking time: n/a
- 1 lb (500 g) thin veal or pork cutlets
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) butter, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) minced shallots
- ¾ lb (375 g) assorted mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- ½ cup (125 mL) dry Marsala or white wine
- ½ cup (125 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Blot veal dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper; dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp (5 mL) each butter and oil over high heat; cook veal in two batches, 1 minute per side or until lightly browned. Add remaining butter and oil for second batch. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook shallots, mushrooms and thyme, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add Marsala and broth; cook for 2 minutes or until slightly reduced. Return veal to skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, turning occasionally, until heated through and coated in sauce. Adjust seasoning with pepper to taste.
|Total fat||7 g|
|Saturated fat||2 g|
Canada’s Choice per Serving: ½ Carbohydrate, 3½ Meat & AlternativesRecipe reprinted with permission from Diabetes Comfort Food, Johanna Burkhard and Barb Selley, Robert Rose Inc., 2006, http://www.robertrose.ca