Here’s the perfect stock for vegetarians. It keeps for up to 6 months if frozen in airtight containers.
- 6 cups water 1.5 L
- 1 large sweet potato, diced 1
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped 2
- 2 large leeks, cleaned and sliced 2
- 1 large onion, chopped 1
- ½ cup chopped parsley 125 mL
- 2 large cloves garlic 2
- 2 bay leaves 2
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper 1 mL
- 1/8 tsp salt 0.5 mL
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine water, potato, celery, leeks, onion, parsley, garlic, bay leaves, pepper and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 1½ hours.
- Pour mixture through a strainer; discard solids. Refrigerate stock until cold. Stock can be kept, refrigerated, for up to 3 days or frozen in an airtight container.
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Canada’s Choice per Serving: 1 Extra
Makes 6 cups (1.5 L), (1 cup/250 mL per serving)
Recipe reprinted with permission from Complete Canadian Diabetes Cookbook, Katherine E. Younker, Robert Rose Inc., 2005, http://www.robertrose.ca.