A variation on the original Waldorf salad.
In a hurry? Use the packaged coleslaw mixtures available in the produce sections of supermarkets.
The original salad developed at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City contained only apples, celery and mayonnaise. Chopped walnuts later became an integral part of the recipe-and here we add cabbage and raisins. Oh, well, recipes are always evolving!
- 2 cups coarsely shredded cabbage (see Tip) 500 mL
- ½ cup sliced celery 125 mL
- 2 tbsp each finely chopped raisins and walnuts 25 mL
- ¼ cup low-fat plain yogurt 50 mL
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise 25 mL
- ½ tsp fresh lemon juice 2 mL
- 2 cups chopped apples (2 medium) 500 mL
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In bowl, combine cabbage, celery, raisins and walnuts.
- In small bowl, whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise and lemon juice; stir into cabbage mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so flavours develop. Stir in apples just before serving.
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Canada’s Choice per Serving (1¼ cups or 300 mL): 1 Carbohydrates, 1 Fat
4 Servings, 5 cups (1.25 L)
Recipe reprinted with permission from Canada’s 250 Essential Diabetes Recipes, Sharon Zeiler, Robert Rose Inc., 2011, http://www.robertrose.ca.