This whole-grain side dish offers crunch with a refreshing taste.
Makes 8 servings
Cooking time: n/a
- 1 cup wheat berries 250 mL
- ½ tsp salt 2 mL
- 3 cups water 750 mL
- 1 cup finely chopped celery 250 mL
- 2 cups finely chopped apple, preferably Cortland or Jonagold (skin on) 500 mL
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh mint 125 mL
- ½ cup finely chopped green onion 125 mL
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 45 mL
- 2 Tbsp apple juice 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp honey 15 mL
- 2 tsp finely minced fresh ginger 10 mL
- In glass or ceramic bowl, place wheat berries. Cover with 2 inches (5 cm) water and let sit overnight in refrigerator to soften. In morning, drain water. Place berries in small saucepan, add salt and 3 cups (750 mL) water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 45-55 minutes or until tender. Drain any excess water and place berries in large mixing bowl.
- Add celery, apples, mint and green onion and stir to combine.
- In small bowl, whisk canola oil, vinegar, apple juice, honey and ginger together. Pour over salad. Flavours improve if salad is refrigerated for up to 4 hours prior to serving.
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Yield: 8 servings, Servings Size: 3/4 cup (175 mL).
Courtesy of canolainfo.org.