Nothing like a bowl of chili to warm you up on a cold February night!
Makes 12 servings
Cooking time: n/a
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 25 mL
- 2 2/3 cups chopped onion 650 mL
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/3 cup seeded and minced jalapeno pepper 75 mL
- 6 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth 1.5 L
- 3 cans (15 oz. each) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups diced, cooked turkey breast 500 mL
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet corn kernels 375 mL
- 2 tsp ground cumin 10 mL
- 1 tsp ancho chile pepper 5 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice 7 mL
- 2 tsp finely minced fresh cilantro 10 mL
- In a large Dutch oven, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add jalapeno pepper and sauté until onions are tender.
- Add chicken broth, beans, turkey and corn. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add cumin and ancho chile pepper. Simmer 35 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and simmer additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro immediately before serving. Serve.
Reference : Canadian Diabetes Association